Decorating can be fun and easy using the furniture you already own. I use traditional interior design principles to help resolve common decorating problems and take the anxiety out of designing. I can help you to trust your own taste and make wise decisions about future purchases.
Decorating with What You Already Own
I can help you to change the look of your rooms, with minor adjustments, redecorating to create:
- An inviting room with a comfortable conversation area
- A room that functions well and has good lighting
- A cohesive look
- Skillfully displayed accessories or favorite collections
- A more dramatic room, with colorful walls or just a few accents of color.
Here are a few redecorating tips to get started:
- Identify the focal point of the room, usually a window or a fireplace. If not, create a focal point by grouping similar pictures or collectibles.
- Cluster furniture to create cozy conversation areas instead of lining up furniture against the walls.
- Take out the excess; less is usually more when furnishing a room.
- One or two large plants can be very dramatic and much more pleasing than many small plants scattered around the room.
- Pairs of items create instant balances in cohesion in a room. Consider a matching pair of chairs, lamps, candlesticks or related pictures.
- Neatness counts even for your bookshelves. Line up books, library-style, to the front edge of the shelves. If you have a large collection of books, resist the temptation to mix books with photos and knick-knacks.
- Let one wall be an art free zone so the eye has a place to rest.
Copyright 2014, The Organizers, Inc.